If anything, the adage that “a picture is worth a thousand words” downplays the comparative value of visuals and text. And while we can intuit how powerful images are, we don’t have to leave that understanding to our imaginations – there’s plenty of data that makes the point very clear. Although text still has an important place in marketing, research proves that visuals are far more powerful drivers of engagement and conversions. Here are 29 stats that prove it:
Our brains were built for visual information:
1. 90% of the information processed by the brain is visual.
2. It takes only 13 milliseconds for the human brain to process an image.
3. The human brain processes images 60,000 times faster than text.
4. 80% of people remember what they see, compared to ten percent what they hear and 20 percent of what they read.
5. In responses to a recent survey, 95% of B2B buyers said that they wanted shorter and highly visual content.
6. Publishers that feature visual content grow traffic 12 times faster than those who don’t.
Best-in-Class Personalization Across Email and Mobile
Even small marketing teams can produce data-driven, personalized email and mobile campaigns. Learn how in Movable Ink's eBook, Best-In-Class Personalization Across Email and MobileDownload the eBook
We don’t have much patience for text:
7. Most people only read 20-28% of the words on the page.
8. 80% of people will watch a video but only 20% of people will read text on a page.
9. 55% of website visitors spend less than 15 seconds actively reading.
We aren’t great listeners, either:
10. When people hear information, they’re likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later.
We love to consume and share pictures, infographics, and videos:
11. More than 95 million photos are shared daily on Instagram.
12. Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than tweets without them.
13. On Facebook, photos have an interaction rate of 87%, compared to 4% or less for other types of posts, such as links or text.
14. 100 million hours of video are watched every day on Facebook – 85% of them with the sound off.
15. 6 billion video ads are watched online each year.
16. Posts that include images produce 650% higher engagement than text-only posts.
17. People share infographics three times more than any other type of content.
18. Using the word “video” in an email subject line boosts open rates by 19% and clickthrough rates by 65%.
19. World internet traffic from videos will comprise 80% of all traffic by 2019.
20. Posts with videos attract three times more links than text-only posts.
21. Experts predict that by 2021, four out of five internet actions will result in video content being placed before the user.
22. 1200% more shares are generated by social videos than by images and text combined.
23. Having a video thumbnail appear in search results can double search traffic.
Video drives our purchasing decisions:
24. 70% of B2B buyers and researchers watch a video during their purchase process.
25. Four times as many consumers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it.
26. Nearly 75% of U.S. internet users regularly or always search for visual content prior to making a purchase; only 3% never do.
27. 43% of B2C marketers say pre-produced video is the most successful type of content for marketing purposes.
28. People are 85 percent more likely to buy a product after viewing a product video.
29. Replacing an image with a video on a landing page increases conversions by almost 13 percent.