The Principal Rails Engineer will be a technical lead for our Ruby on Rails applications, spanning multiple teams and products. In this role, you will help to bootstrap and set foundations for new initiatives; lead efforts to standardize best-practices in Ruby and Rails through training, pairing, and code reviews; facilitate a consistent approach to testing, implementing, and building; and vet, contribute to, or create open source projects used in our stack.
Fast-forward one year. Here’s what you will have accomplished:
- Identified opportunities in our Rails apps for a consistent approach to similar problems
- Mentored developers less familiar with Rails through pairing and “lunch and learn” presentations
- Hosted internal office hours where any Rails developers can bring questions or challenges
- Led “mob-pairings” where you work through a larger tech project with several other engineers, in 2-3 hour chunks (for example: a Rails upgrade)
- Became a go-to resource for technical questions, both because you quickly provide answers and because you’re just so delightful to speak with.
- Defined the technology roadmap for our Rails applications
- Jumped into product team sprints for short bursts to help unblock new or existing projects
- 8+ years of experience working with Ruby and Rails
- Experience contributing to and maintaining open source projects, or frequently-updated shared projects within an organization
- A solid understanding of Rails best practices, patterns, and tools
- Experience leading and/or mentoring other developers
Movable Ink provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Movable Ink complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.