Earlier in this three-part “Mastering Mobile Email” series, we shared 5 tips for optimizing your email template and design, and 5 tips for using mobile email to drive cross-channel interactions.
But why stop there? Let’s take mobile optimization one-step further. The nature of mobile devices themselves allows for real-time optimization and advanced targeting. How can marketers take full advantage of the unique possibilities inherent in mobile email?
Here are 5 ways to optimize your emails based on the real-time context of your mobile consumers:
1. Optimize creative for different mobile devices. Show the most relevant creative based on which mobile device is being used to open the email. RadioShack promoted certain mobile products based on the user’s open device (see example).
2. Promote device-specific app downloads. In our last post, we explained how it’s possible to deep link to your brand’s mobile app using email. But you can also target users in real-time with app download calls-to-action based on the device used to open the email. Check out these examples from Comedy Central and Starbucks.
3. Target by current weather conditions. Show recipients’ creative specific to the weather conditions at their location when they open the email. Seamless, the food delivery service, showed a weather forecast and encouraged readers to order in on rainy days (see example).
4. Optimize for mobile connection strength. Serve lower resolution images if a mobile carrier is detected, since the email recipient is not connected to a WiFi network. Learn more about mobile carrier targeting here.
5. Optimize video-in-email. Use device-targeting to ensure mobile email recipients enjoy the best possible video-in-email experience available to them at time of open, depending on ISP/email client. Learn more about video-in-email here.
Have questions on any of the tips covered in the “Master Mobile Email” series? Give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for a full list of the 15 tips on fully optimizing for mobile in one place? Download the 15 Tips for Mastering Mobile Email list here.